Sisters from various parts of the country and from abroad gathered in the Cathedral of St. Mary and St. Anne with Bishop Buckley and priests and people of the Cathedral Parish to offer a Mass of Thanksgiving for Venerable Mary Aikenhead. Representatives from St. Vincent’s Primary and Secondary Schools, St. Vincent’s Centre, St. Patrick’s, Wellington Road and from Marymount joined the Sisters for the celebration as well as friends, associates and family members.
The mass was attended by the Lord Mayor, Councillor Chris O’ Leary. Rev. Sarah Marry from St. Anne’s Shandon also attended. (Mary Aikenhead was baptised in Shandon). Sr. Mary Christian General Leader of the Sisters of Charity and Sr. Phyllis Behan, Provincial of the Sisters of Charity were also present at the celebration. Following the mass, refreshments were served in St. Vincent’s Secondary School.
The Sisters of Charity Congregation was founded by a Cork woman, Venerable Mary Aikenhead in 1815 and she opened her first convent in Dublin with the support of Rev. Daniel Murray, the Archbishop of Dublin. In 1826 Mary Aikenhead brought a group of Sisters to Cork to open St. Vincent’s Convent and in 1870 another group of Sisters came to open St. Patrick’s Hospital on Wellington Road. During the past 200 years the Congregation has opened convents, hospitals and schools in England, Scotland, California, Zambia, Nigeria, Malawi and Australia.